Getting close…

So back to work after letting the cat out of the bag with the property becoming Island Life Backpackers’ Hostel. It’s been a couple of weeks of getting lots of little jobs out of the way. Well let’s start with something fun.
I have been looking for a pool table to go in the bar for a while now and I finally found one. It also made me get my ass in gear and connect all the lights up in the pool room.


It’s pretty tough finding certain things here, prices are very high even for used items so sometimes it takes a while to find what you are looking for. One thing I didn’t really think about was actually getting the pool table back to the hostel.


Well of course the one I bought was on the second floor of someone’s house. It was a struggle but manage to get it back safely.
The next on the list was the main stairs which I had not anything to since I started the place. It took me a while to decide what to go for but finally decided on granite composite steps and will add some decorative tiles to the front of the steps.


It’s the only place in the house now that isn’t painted. I also installed it on the front steps as well. Looks pretty good and is strong.
Next up was the outdoor kitchen… I had been meaning to tile it for a long time and finally got around to it. I am really starting to dislike tile work and grouting – I am typing this with two fingers due to all the cuts on my fingertips! But hey another job ticked off the list.


A couple posts ago I had been putting an overflow pipe and drains in the garden. Well the drains are in and it’s all covered with gravel now so you cannot see them. It works a charm – rainy season has just started and in the last few days we have had ALOT of rain – I cannot remember the last time it rained so it is just as well really. So even after an hour downpour there was no build-up of water at the bottom of the garden – task complete!


I have been tripping over doors that I have been meaning to hang for a while now so while in the mood of finishing of jobs I have started to hang them. I have 15 sitting in a pile but I am about halfway through now…


Obviously I still need to paint them but the hard part is out of the way at least. It’s not as easy as you would think – in the Colonial house I don’t think I have a square wall or door way so there’s a bit of adjustment here and there needed.


It was Katherine’s birthday last week and I when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday it was to get the outdoor hot tub working – well cold tub, Jacuzzi whatever you want to call it.
The only problem was that the pump and filter was still in the box, I hadn’t filled the hot tub, bought the blower or even connected power to the pool house yet…


So it was a bit of a rush but finally got it all connected and up and running. I have to say I am impressed – all works and looks great. Only problem is that now I have a soak at lunchtime and do not want to get out and get back to work!

Katherine’s birthday was awesome, we had around 30 people in the hostel and all went well – all good comments even when the place isn’t finished. It gives me that extra bit of motivation to get over the finish line.
Well that’s about all for this post, I have set a soft opening date for 1st July 2014 so it is going to be a tough 6 weeks ahead. But I think I can do it. One of my priorities is installing an electric security fence around the perimeter of the property – I have been meaning to do it for a while now so that is next on my list. Until next time…